Healthy pessimism?

Recently, my family and I saw the Disney movie, “Tomorrowland.”

Grandparents can help pay for college

Next month my son will graduate from high school and move on to the University of Arizona. Go Cats! My wife is busy getting his senior pictures taken, the announcements put together, and party plans drafted.

Beating Uncle Sam with tax-free growth

As a CPA, I have spent the last three decades helping people to pay the least amount of taxes legally allowed by law.

Switching Gears in Retirement

In searching for investment options, would you rather have—high return or low return? High risk or low risk? Liquid or illiquid?

Tease photo

Retirees want to find states that do not tax Social Security benefits

Many retirees consider moving to a different state when they retire so their Social Security income is not included in state income taxation. Understanding which states tax this income can be important to older adults.

Tease photo

It seems the estate tax will return with a vengeance in 2013

If Congress doesn't act soon, January 2013 will see the estate tax – the death tax – come roaring back to live with huge impact on those with estates valued at just $1 million.

Tease photo

5 small business tax deductions for the retired business owner

Are you starting a small business after you retire? Make sure that you tax all of the small business tax deductions you are allowed.

Tease photo

Sick of taxes? Tips on finding and choosing an accountant for the retiree

Tired of filing your own taxes and want to hand the job off to someone else? Learn what to look for in a professional tax accountant.

Tease photo

What is the Estate Tax and how does it affect me?

Understand federal estate tax, what is included in a “gross estate,” and how to use estate tax deductions in 2012. Who should seek estate tax legal advice?

Tease photo

Deductibles you didn’t know about

Find out how itemizing tax deductions and learning about little known deductions, from gambling losses to education expenses, can save you hundreds of dollars on your income taxes.