Libya's Megrahi: my role in Lockerbie exaggerated
Oct 3, 2011, 5:30 a.m.
By Mahmoud al-Ghirbini
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Abdel Basset al-Megrahi, the man convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing that killed 270 people, told Reuters his role in the attack had been exaggerated and the truth about what really happened would emerge soon.
Megrahi, released from a Scottish prison two years ago on the grounds that he was suffering from terminal cancer, spoke to Reuters from a bed at his home in Tripoli. Looking frail and with his breathing labored, he said he had no more than a few months to live.
"The facts (about the Lockerbie bombing) will become clear one day and hopefully in the near future. In a few months from now, you will see new facts that will be announced," he told Reuters Television as medical monitors pinged around his bed.
(Writing by Joseph Logan; Editing by Christian Lowe and Alistair Lyon)
- For Creedence Clearwater Revisited drummer Doug Clifford, playing in the Valley is ...
- “One person...Six questions” is a continuing series of columns about Tucson-area residents ...
- My nightmare is always the same.