Fit and fifty (plus): Three sports you have to try
Oct 12, 2011, 2 p.m.
Is boredom beginning to set in with your regular workouts? Are you tired of going to the same old places to do the same old things every weekend? And are you absolutely up for a fun challenge that could become a lifelong hobby? Then maybe one of the following three sports is just what you’re looking for.
- Kayaking. Also known as paddling, kayaking is a great way to have fun and get in shape at the same time. Whether you paddle alone or with a partner, kayaking requires a certain amount of balance and will help you develop upper body strength. Lakes and rivers usually offer calm waters and are suitable for beginners, but if you get hooked and want more of a challenge, you can always try sea kayaking or even white water kayaking!
- Windsurfing. If you’re a speed freak but can’t stand the sound of motors, try windsurfing. The top speed ever measured for a man on a plank with a handheld sail was 49.09 knots—that’s about 55 miles per hour! Of course, you don’t have to go that fast to enjoy windsurfing, but if you enjoy sailing and want to make the activity a bit more physical, windsurfing is the answer.
- Rock Climbing. Rock climbing offers incredible thrills while requiring intense concentration, precision, upper body strength and flexibility. Look for certified inside climbing halls that offer beginners’ courses, and graduate to sheer rock faces outside that offer some of the most spectacular views in the world.
- Journeys By Train, a Tucson-based escorted deluxe travel company, will conduct special ...
- The world will never forget the day when four young men from ...
- Floyd and Linda Cotton have been doing a lot of new clothes ...
- Our fridge went rogue the other day.