Best online dating sites for 55+ adults
Oct 18, 2011, 4:40 p.m.
If you’re single and over the age of 55, you don’t have to limit yourself to “traditional” methods of meeting people. Besides, who wants to get a library card and risk being shushed by a librarian younger than them? And night clubs: You may not need a hearing aid yet, but you just might by the time you’re done hanging out in one of those places for a few hours. If the efforts of your friends and family members to connect you with a nice and attractive someone have resulted in outright failure, you should consider taking a shot at meeting someone online. But first, here are a few ground rules to play by.
- Stick to dating sites. Most perform thorough background checks of their applicants to weed out the nutjobs and the undesirables.
- Don’t expect to find your one true love on the first try. You know the old saying “You’ve gotta kiss a lot of frogs… .” Unfortunately, it’s true.
- Dare to dream, but be realistic. Just because you’re not half the looker you were in your younger years doesn’t mean you’re destined to be alone for the rest of your life. But it also helps to not inflate your expectations to the point where anyone but a '60s-era Raquel Welch or Paul Newman will be excluded from your list of considerations.
Now that you’ve got the top three ground rules down, you’re ready to go on the hunt. Or prowl. Or stroll, if it suits you better. Here are some of the best online dating sites around today, all of which cater specifically to the over-55 crowd in one way or another.
SeniorMatch.com – Not to be confused with the more popular Match.com, SeniorMatch.com offers free registration that allows you to create a profile and view others. But without upgrading to paid membership you’re not really able to make full use of the features. Don’t let this be a deterrent to using the site, however, as they all operate this way.
Match.com – This is one dating website that’s got name recognition coming out of its ears. A huge part of that is because it’s one of the easiest to use sites, but another chunk is owed to various ads and quirky TV commercials. But just because it’s popular with youngsters under 40 and most of the people featured on their advertisements have yet to see their first gray hair doesn’t mean it’s not a great place to meet your perfect match.
SeniorPeopleMeet.com – Not only is this a reliable resource for getting yourself matched up with potential partners in your age group who share your interests, but it’s also a great site to go to for useful dating articles written specifically for seniors and directed at all types—from the already experienced to the clueless among us.
eHarmony.com – Remember the aforementioned saying about kissing a lot of frogs? Well, if you really want to up your chances of meeting your match, your best bet is to go where the frog population is highest. eHarmony.com boasts more than 20 million registered users and they’ve apparently got a really unique compatibility program that’s delivered enough success to keep them going as one of the top dating sites in the country.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- When shopping for the right walk-in tub company to handle your Arizona ...
- March 23, 2010, is a date that will live in infamy.
- One of the most interesting real estate concepts in recent years is ...
- The American Lung Association recently published the State of the Air Report, ...
- Last year, financial analysts observed a strange but encouraging phenomenon on opposite ...