Hurricane Katia strengthens rapidly over Atlantic
Sep 4, 2011, 8:12 a.m.
MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia strengthened rapidly over the open Atlantic on Sunday, bulking up to a Category 2 storm, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.
Katia had top sustained winds of 100 miles per hour (160 km per hour), the Miami-based hurricane center said.
It said it was still too soon to gauge the potential threat to land or the U.S. East Coast from the storm, which could become a "major" hurricane with maximum sustained winds of at least 111 mph on Monday.
(Reporting by Tom Brown; Editing by Eric Beech)
- MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia intensified over the open Atlantic on Sunday, ...
- MIAMI (Reuters) - The Atlantic's latest tropical storm is likely to strengthen ...
- Floyd and Linda Cotton have been doing a lot of new clothes ...
- Our fridge went rogue the other day.
- I have a Phoenix Union High School yearbook, “The Phoenician,” from 1924 ...
- About 10 years ago, Scottsdale resident and businessman Steven Lazar got fed ...