Katia strengthens to Category 3 major hurricane
Sep 5, 2011, 1:44 p.m.
MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia strengthened to a Category 3 storm on Monday, carrying winds of 115 miles per hour (185 km per hour) as it tracked northwestwards on a path between Bermuda and the Caribbean, the National Hurricane Center said.
Katia was now a "major" hurricane on the five-category Saffir-Simpson scale of intensity. Forecasters expect the hurricane to veer away from the east coast later this week and then head northeastwards out to the open sea.
(Reporting by Pascal Fletcher)
- MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia strengthened rapidly over the open Atlantic on ...
- A three day celebration of arts, entertainment and libations will bring nearly ...
- I expect Seattle’s Pike Market to be colorful, crowded and caffeinated, as ...
- Did you know the average person consumes an estimated at 150 pounds ...
- Melissa Etheridge has never felt so free.
- After 40-plus years in the music business, folk singer John McCutcheon still ...