Katia strengthens to Category 3 major hurricane
Sep 5, 2011, 1:44 p.m.
MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia strengthened to a Category 3 storm on Monday, carrying winds of 115 miles per hour (185 km per hour) as it tracked northwestwards on a path between Bermuda and the Caribbean, the National Hurricane Center said.
Katia was now a "major" hurricane on the five-category Saffir-Simpson scale of intensity. Forecasters expect the hurricane to veer away from the east coast later this week and then head northeastwards out to the open sea.
(Reporting by Pascal Fletcher)
- MIAMI (Reuters) - Hurricane Katia strengthened rapidly over the open Atlantic on ...
- In searching for investment options, would you rather have—high return or low ...
- In their early 70s, Koert and Rebecca Smith were looking to make ...
- At age 74, singer-songwriter Paul Williams is in better shape than he ...
- Below-zero temperatures in Iowa and the Beach Boys’ music don’t necessarily go ...
- Are Stem Cells the Next Frontier of Medicine?