The eagle-eyed individual: Foods to stimulate eye health
Apr 9, 2012, 6 a.m.
An eagle-eyed senior wants to retain good vision, and it is naturally distressing to discover that such an important sense as vision begins to deteriorate with advanced age. Since the human body is composed of cells and tissues that thrive on various nutrients, it only makes sense that eating foods that improve eyesight will help you maintain eye health and a better quality of vision. You can help to improve your eyesight naturally by improving the types of food you consume.
The desired foods contain nutrients that benefit eye health and vision quality: Vitamins C, D, Zinc, Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Foods that stimulate eye health are easy to obtain and prepare. Research studies indicate that the best diet to improve your eyesight is the Mediterranean diet, which is comprised of nutrient-rich foods, such as:
- Heart-healthy oils from food high in Omega 3 fatty acids like fish and olive oil
- Fresh vegetables like carrots and tomatoes, but especially greens including spinach, cabbage, broccoli, peppers, kale, Brussels sprouts and lettuce
- Fresh fruits, including colorful berries
- Beans, nuts, and whole grain products
Foods to avoid include excessive salt, white bread or flour, pasta and other high-glycemic foods.
What are other perks associated with eating foods that improve eyesight?
- Lower blood pressure protects small blood capillary system
- Reduce weight
- Prevent macular degeneration of the eyes
- Slow age-related vision problems like blindness
- Reduce likelihood of developing cataracts
- Reduce inflammation that damages cells
- Reduce diabetes-related vision damage
A savvy senior will strive to include in their diet many tasty and flavorful natural foods, fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and whole-grains to continue to enjoy healthy eyes and vision quality throughout their golden years.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- When shopping for the right walk-in tub company to handle your Arizona ...
- March 23, 2010, is a date that will live in infamy.
- One of the most interesting real estate concepts in recent years is ...
- The American Lung Association recently published the State of the Air Report, ...
- Last year, financial analysts observed a strange but encouraging phenomenon on opposite ...