The top vitamins for senior men's health
Jan 12, 2012, 10:10 a.m.
You have all sorts of plans for your retirement, plans that don't allow for time being sick or a stay in the hospital. To keep fit, alert and full of energy, it's wise to eat healthy foods, get enough sleep and exercise regularly. In addition, men over a certain age can boost their health by taking the following vitamins and supplements:
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D, obtained naturally through exposure to sunlight, offers a bevy of health benefits. Among these are a stronger immune system, stronger bones and reduced stress. Most people don't get enough vitamin D naturally, so ask your doctor about taking vitamin D in tablet form.
- Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps fight the effects of aging on the skin and lessens stretch marks (yes, men have these too), brown spots and uneven pigment. This vitamin has also been shown in studies to have a correlation with lower incidences of prostate cancer, Alzheimer's disease and rheumatoid arthritis. You can find vitamin E in foods like nuts and nut oils; green, leafy vegetables, mangoes and papayas, avocados and broccoli.
- Calcium. Having weak bones is not just a woman's problem. According to the Mayo Clinic , men of all ages need calcium, but it is especially important for men over age 70. Calcium can be found in milk and other dairy products as well as in dark green leafy vegetables and fortified products like orange juice. If you don't eat these foods regularly, ask you doctor about a calcium supplement.
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential to good eye health. In addition, this vitamin strengthens the immune system, promotes strong bones and teeth, and is a powerful antioxidant. Find vitamin A in tablet form at the pharmacy or in foods like carrots, apricots, kale, broccoli and spinach.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- A three day celebration of arts, entertainment and libations will bring nearly ...
- I expect Seattle’s Pike Market to be colorful, crowded and caffeinated, as ...
- Did you know the average person consumes an estimated at 150 pounds ...
- Melissa Etheridge has never felt so free.
- After 40-plus years in the music business, folk singer John McCutcheon still ...