Foods to improve your memory
Jul 4, 2012, 6 a.m.
Improving memory is a goal that's not specific to any particular age group. Both old and young are interested in discovering better ways of sharpening the proverbial noodle, and there are numerous ways of accomplishing this. Believe it or not, you can improve your memory simply by putting certain things into your mouth. Here's a list of five foods that increase memory.
- Apples -- Everyone knows the old saying about how an apple a day can keep the doctor away, but that saying can now be amended to: "An apple a day helps the memory stay." Apples contain the antioxidant quercetin, which is thought to slow down Alzheimer's. Just don't skin your apple. The highest amount of quercetin is found on the apple's skin.
- Fish -- If you want a good reason to indulge in fatty fish, this is it. The Omega-3 oils that are contained in sardines and salmon are said to have an effect on improving memory, so dive in.
- Blueberries -- This may not be a green light to devour an entire blueberry pie at a time, but at least you know you're getting something beneficial out of it. Fresh blueberries, however, are far better for improving memory, since they contain anthocyanin, which scientists say can sharpen the functions of your brain.
- Spinach -- Apparently, Popeye was on to something. Loaded with folic acids, spinach in either raw or cooked form is on the top of the list of foods that increase memory and may also even have the ability to reverse memory loss.
- Onions -- Having been used as a natural supplement for improving memory for hundreds of years, onions (red, yellow and white) are loaded with fisetin. Red onions are thought to be the most effective at facilitating long-term memory health, as they're also rich in anthocyanin and quercetin.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- When shopping for the right walk-in tub company to handle your Arizona ...
- March 23, 2010, is a date that will live in infamy.
- One of the most interesting real estate concepts in recent years is ...
- The American Lung Association recently published the State of the Air Report, ...
- Last year, financial analysts observed a strange but encouraging phenomenon on opposite ...