Top San Francisco restaurants for foodies
Jul 4, 2012, 6 a.m.
San Francisco is a food lover's paradise. Restaurants here combine fresh seafood from the Bay, Napa and Sonoma Valley wines and abundant California produce with the city's Asian, Italian and Vegetarian roots. If you're headed to San Francisco this summer, make sure to make reservations at a least one of these food emporiums:
- Masa's. One of San Francisco's top restaurants for more than a quarter of a century, Masa's defines California French cuisine. The legendary eatery, located near Union Square, is noted for its 800-choice wine list and its innovative use of local ingredients to craft French classics.
- La Folie. This Russian Hill restaurant is another San Francisco classic. Opened in 1988, La Folie serves French contemporary cuisine using local ingredients, a combination that has earned it a Michelin star as well as a place in Zagat's top 10 San Francisco restaurant list.
- Greens. This Fort Mason restaurant, located on the waterfront in the shadow of the Golden Gate Bridge, all but invented the American vegetarian food movement when it opened in 1979. However, Greens is much, much more than sprouts and tofu. Still popular more than 30 years later, Greens uses local organic ingredients to craft beautiful, healthy fare with a sweeping view of the Bay.
- Gary Danko. Chosen as the number one restaurant in San Francisco by the writers of the Zagat Guide, Gary Danko is the newest restaurant on our list -- just six years old. This dining must, located in the Fisherman's Wharf neighborhood, combines French, Mediterranean and American cooking with Chef Danko's own unique flourish.
Most of these restaurants are open only for dinner (with the exception of Greens) and reservations are imperative. (If you happen to arrive in the city sans reservations, ask your hotel's concierge if she can secure you a table.)
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- “Commitment” is a word that resonates with the members of the musical ...
- REO Speedwagon vocalist Kevin Cronin knows his band is “required” to play ...
- Crowned in late March, Jessica Klebanow has yet to wrap her head ...
- From helping with hearing and managing diabetes to training at the gym ...
- The drums pounded and so did my heart. Five Maori warriors moved ...