The link between colorectal cancer and high blood sugar in postmenopausal women
Jun 15, 2012, 6 a.m.
The research of the effects of high blood sugar have shown some results that are not favorable for postmenopausal women. Recent studies now indicate a link between colorectal cancer and high blood sugar in post menopausal women. Colorectal cancer, the third most common cancer, as well as the third leading cause of deaths by cancer in the United States, was shown to be more prevalent in older women who have increased blood sugar levels. Unfortunately this can now be added to the causes of colorectal cancer for these women.
The bad news for aging women is that according to researchers at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in NYC, the data they collected for nearly 12 years from 5,000 postmenopausal American women indicates that women with elevated glucose levels at the beginning of the study were more likely to develop colorectal cancer.
Causes of colorectal cancer include obesity, which was thought to be an issue due to the high blood levels of insulin. The new study has determined that the risk may in fact be due to the high glucose levels instead. Scientists were also surprised to find that there was no association in the cancer risk between those with higher insulin levels. The research does confirm that the effects of high blood sugar now pose a much higher threat for the risk of colorectal cancer.
Researchers believe that one of the effects of high blood sugar is that the glucose levels are linked to blood and inflammatory factors that can instigate the growth of intestinal polyps, which can ultimately develop into cancer. Postmenopausal women should have regular check ups and discuss the effects of high blood sugar with their doctor to ensure that are not at risk for this deadly disease.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Novartis's bone drug Zometa extended survival in older breast ...
- When shopping for the right walk-in tub company to handle your Arizona ...
- March 23, 2010, is a date that will live in infamy.
- One of the most interesting real estate concepts in recent years is ...
- The American Lung Association recently published the State of the Air Report, ...
- Last year, financial analysts observed a strange but encouraging phenomenon on opposite ...