Working for fun: Top 5 enjoyable post retirement jobs
May 25, 2012, 8:15 a.m.
Gone are the days when retirement meant hours spent on the golf course or curled up by the fire with a good book. Today's retirees are anything but sedentary. Many want an opportunity to contribute to the workplace. And, without the fierce demands of making a living and supporting a family, today's seniors can look for fun jobs, not just well-paying ones. If that's you, here are just a few places to look:
- Amusement park worker. Amusement parks aren't just for kids. Many welcome older workers for concession workers, greeters and even entertainers. Plus, it's all but impossible to be in a bad mood when you're surrounded by other people having fun.
- Greenhouse helper. Working with plants is a great way to feel like you've accomplished something while getting a little exercise. If you've been a successful home gardener, consider working part-time at a garden center and sharing the knowledge you've acquired through years of trial and error with greenhouse customers.
- Veterinarian's assistant. Have you always had a "way" with animals? Many veterinary clinics need helpers to handle pets, greet patients and make appointments.
- Big box retailers. Don't laugh. Not only can working at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's or other similar big box retailers be fun and a good way to keep in contact with other people, but many such stores offer an excellent benefit package -- even to their part-time employees. If you retired before age 65, a little help with health insurance is a big plus. Other benefits include tuition reimbursement, vision and dental insurance and matches for your charitable giving.
- Set up an Etsy or eBay store. Have you always been told that you should market your craft, art or sewing projects? Now that you have more time on your hands, perhaps you should consider setting up an online store with a site like eBay or Etsy. You'll be doing something you enjoy... and making a few bucks. Who knows? Your store just might turn into the next Cheryl's Cookies.
Don't sit at home, missing your old work buddies. Get out and find some new adventures and new friends. With a pension in your bank account, you can concentrate on enjoying your job, not just making money.
Content Provided by Spot55.com