What's your risk of fracture?
May 28, 2012, 6 a.m.
Low bone density sometimes results in bone fractures -- even without the complications of a fall or hard bump against furniture or other obstacles. Over 25 million senior women are at risk of osteoporosis and the known consequences.
Numerous factors affect your risk of osteoporosis, including:
- Genetic issues
- Early menopause in women
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Ethnicity and race
- Low levels of male testosterone
- Insufficient bodily intake of calcium
- Cigarettes and other smoking habits
- Poor physical exercise habits
- Various chronic diseases including those that affect the intestines, kidneys, lungs and stomach
- Prolonged consumption of antacids, anticonvulsants, steroids and other medical remedies for unrelated physical or mental disorders
- People with abnormally small body frames
- AND various endocrine illnesses
Reduce your risk of fracture by understanding your risk of osteoporosis
The factors that contribute to osteoporosis can also be linked to many other types of medical complications. The following tool helps isolate the condition. It measures your personal risk of bone fracture even without a mineral density check.
It is the Fracture Risk Assessment Tool (FRAX) released by the World health Organization (WHO). It comes with the endorsement of the Center for Science in the Public Interest. It functions by combining individual patient models with bone mineral density and various clinical risk factors.
Computer driven, the FRAX applies program algorithms that accurately provide a 10-year risk factor to the probability of hip, spine or other major osteoporotic fractures. The system checks for low bone density, applies the information to historic patient models, and enables you to better determine the personal benefits of taking osteoporosis medication. It best serves the needs of postmenopausal women, people with osteopenia, men over 50 years old, and people who have not yet tried osteoporosis medication.
The tool is available at the FRAX website.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- When shopping for the right walk-in tub company to handle your Arizona ...
- March 23, 2010, is a date that will live in infamy.
- One of the most interesting real estate concepts in recent years is ...
- The American Lung Association recently published the State of the Air Report, ...
- Last year, financial analysts observed a strange but encouraging phenomenon on opposite ...