Feeding the kid inside: 5 low impact games you can play with the grandkids
Oct 1, 2012, 10:56 a.m.
Spending time and having fun with your grandkids is the best thing about being a grandparent. There is nothing like good times spent making great memories of your time spent together being goofy and making each other laugh.
Sometimes though, it can be tough to keep up with the kids when they want you to take part in activities that are a bit extreme for you. Don't let it get you down because you can't zip down the slip-n-slide or climb the steps up to the tree house; there are tons of fun things you can do with your grandkids that they will enjoy and that can feed the kid inside of you, too.
With a little imagination and a few tips, you can have fun and enjoy many different kinds of games with your grandkids that you will both enjoy. Here are a few ideas to get you going:
5 fun low impact games your grandkids (and you) will enjoy
- Card games -- Everyone loves a good game of cards, and grandkids are no exception. Card games can keep you all entertained for hours and are also a good teaching tool for younger kids who are just learning to count. Some popular card games include Go Fish, Crazy Eights, Spoons, Uno, Old Maid, and Rummy.
- Swimming -- Taking a dip in the pool and making a summertime splash is a low-impact exercise activity that just about everyone can enjoy. Not only is swimming fun for everyone, it is also great exercise for folks over 55 and grandkids, too. Favorite pool games include Marco Polo, basketball, tag, and swimming lap races.
- Tabletop faves - Ping pong, table tennis, pool, and foosball are all time favorites that are perfect for any age. Not only are they fun, but they offers just the right amount of exercise and the added perk of mental stimulation to teach kids hand-eye coordination and keep grandparents sharp.
- Treasure hunting -- Your grandkids will enjoy hunting for the treasures you have hidden around the yard, park, or beach. This is great exercise and gets you all out of the outside to enjoy nature at its finest.
- Video games -- Want to be the coolest grandparent on the block? Challenge your grandkids to a video game! They will be ecstatic that their grannie or paw paw is hip enough to play with them. In fact, the NY Times Health Science Well Blog states that a recent study indicates that video game exercise routines or "exergaming" as they call it, can be extremely beneficial to grandparents. Doing video game exercise actually improved the balance of the older folks, making them less likely to suffer from a bad fall during normal activities.
No matter what games you choose to play with your grandkids, remember that having fun and making memories is what it is all about. Relax and have some fun so you can all enjoy their visits as much as possible.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- Cypress HomeCare Solutions is hiring caregivers.
- The 2016 Spring Tempe Festival of the Arts is gearing up to ...
- Calling from his vacation home in Telluride, Colorado, Peter Yarrow is raspy ...
- Separated from her family’s Jewish faith, Kate Marks felt alone when her ...
- The Palm Springs Desert resorts and San Diego have long been vacation ...