Top 5 foods to eat for better bone strength
Sep 6, 2012, 11:02 a.m.
It is good to be interested in staying healthy, especially in older years when persons are more vulnerable to many problems, including reduced bone density. Cosmetic surgery risks and benefits can also be affected by the health of your bones. There are many ways to help your bones stay stronger. An alternative to supplements for bone strength include these top 5 foods for better bone strength that you can add to your menu:
- Calcium rich dairy products. This includes milk, cheese and yogurt, especially those products that are fortified with additional Vitamin D. Vitamin D works to assist the body with absorption of calcium. Aim to take in about 1200 mg of Calcium daily for best results. Note also that, according to Dr. Paul Mystkowski, an endocrinologist (Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle) it is recommended that your calcium intake be split into three doses of 500 mg each. The reason for this is because that is all the body can absorb at any one time.
- Calcium-fortified foods, such as orange juice, cereal and soy milk. Calcium is added to some foods; this helps increase the effects of other medications that reduce bone loss and increases the benefits you get from weight-bearing exercise meant to build bone strength.
- Calcium rich fish like salmon and sardines. These fish are even more beneficial if you can eat some of the small bones, such as those in sardines. Fish bones are a good source of calcium.
- Calcium rich vegetables. Kale, turnip greens, collard greens and broccoli all are good foods for better bone strength.
- Other foods that are rich in calcium include: almonds, figs, tofu, eggs and cottage cheese.
Aim for about 1500 mg of Calcium daily and about 1200 IU of Vitamin D daily. Skip the caffeine and smoking; these reduce absorption of calcium. Eat healthily and do weight-bearing exercises to enjoy having better bone strength.
Content Provided by Spot55.com
- Floyd and Linda Cotton have been doing a lot of new clothes ...
- Our fridge went rogue the other day.
- I have a Phoenix Union High School yearbook, “The Phoenician,” from 1924 ...
- About 10 years ago, Scottsdale resident and businessman Steven Lazar got fed ...