By Christina Fuoco-Karasinski
Shelene Taylor graduated from massage school 38 years ago with a plan. She wanted to work on a cruise ship, move to the Bahamas, and be a beach bum in her free time.
That didn’t pan out, but her experience at a massage studio allowed her to open Rubs Massage Studio, a now-successful chain of seven locations and two Spa Solai by Rubs.
“I really have a passion for bringing well-being to as many people as possible,” she says. “Massage, for me, is something so powerful. It’s a great healing technique and it’s a stress relief, which we all need. The skin is the largest organ of our body. It’s a safe touch.”
Rubs Massage Studio provides deep-tissue, sports, therapeutic and Swedish massage treatments. It also provides facials, advanced skin care treatments and waxing services. Taylor says her clients are the priority.
Taylor, who no longer practices, says there are many benefits of massage. It improves flexibility and sleep and lessens chronic pain and muscle spasms. She meets her clients’ needs, and that’s been the key to her success.
“Massage is a therapy that has many benefits for a variety of physical issues. It also helps relieve stress, which has the biggest negative impact on our lives physically, mentally and emotionally,” she says.
“Massage has a positive impact, which affects your overall health and wellness and rejuvenates you.”
Among the benefits, Taylor lists:
• Helps to manage chronic pain, alleviating low-back pain, lowering blood pressure and easing medication dependence.
• Enhance immunity by stimulating lymph flow, the body’s natural defense system; helping athletes of any level prepare for, and recover from, strenuous workouts; and increasing joint flexibility.
• Lessening depression and anxiety.
• Pumping oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs, improving circulation; reducing muscle spasms and cramping; relaxing and softening injured, tired and overused muscles; relieving migraine pain; releasing endorphins, amino acids that work as the body’s natural painkiller; and easing symptoms of carpal tunnel.
• Improving range of motion.
The Rubs staff matches clients with the best therapist for their treatment, says Taylor, who is expanding to open a massage school. They ensure that clients who want a deep massage get it, for example.
“We believe that every client is unique and that massages should be personalized,” she says. “That’s why we’re committed to matching you with the best massage therapist and treatment for your needs. When you’re paired with the right therapist, massage can and will change your life for the better. Our massage therapists are trained to work with all kinds of clients, from expectant mothers to overworked athletes. We understand that everyone needs something different out of their massage, and we are prepared to make every client leave feeling more joyful and less stressed than when they walked in the door.”
Rubs Massage Studio has multiple locations throughout Tucson. For more info, please visit rubsmassage.com